Wednesday, February 08, 2006

February snow

It snowed more while we were in the concert, I think, it's almost two inches, now. The concert was long, but good, I was badly informed about the program, it was only one trumpet concerto, an overture by Rimsky-Korsakov, and Tchaikovsky's fifth symphony. The Ulmer University Orchestra was playing, not a philharmonic, what was my host brother thinking...oh well. And, it was in the Kornhaus, same place as where I heard the Rachmaninoff second piano concerto. I loved the Rimsky-Korsakov, I should probably be more familiar with the piece than I am. Lots of Russian folk tunes. The trumpet concerto was interesting, by a composer I had never heard of (Arutjunjan). The trumpeter had a nice big cadenza right before the end. The Tchaikovsky was very big and very long, it's not my favorite symphony, but I might have liked it better had I been a little more awake, haha. The program said it's one of the most often-played symphonic works...hmm...don't think so...whatever. Definitely a lot of Russian rhythm. My host dad said that was his first time to sit right in front of an orchestra in concert...hmm. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about when he said the hall had good acoustics...And, the usual non-musical side-note: the first violinist was hhhhot. Darn exciting female musicians.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, speaking of music...
There was an orchestra concert tonight! Haa, Carmen Suite = so amazing.
Oh, and, another story in production! I'll email it to you.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home