Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Diktat

Last night I wrote this Diktat (dictation) with my host brothers, my host dad dictated. They chose a random article out of a book about whales. I made only five mistakes! I'm good. I think I'll translate to the best of my ability without outside help afterwards. This is probably boring, but I'm proud.

Der Schwertwal

Der Schwertwal ist in sämtlichen Ozeanen der Welt, in den südlichsten ebenso wie in den nördlichsten, anzutreffen. Er kann die Wärme durchaus gut vertragen, aber er zeigt, dass er den kälteren Gewässern den Vorzug gibt, wahrscheinlich weil er hier seine bevorzugte Beute, Flossenfüsser, Pinguine
(I misspelled it with e after the p) und kleine Wale, vorfindet. Es passiert, wie übrigens auch bei anderen Walen, das öfteren, dass sie plötzlich durch große (according to the new rules, you still have to write it with ß, apparently, I always write things with double s) Eisfelder vom offenen Meer abgeschnitten sind und keine Möglichkeit finden, sich zu befreien. Die 21 Minuten Atemstillstand, die der Schwertwal, der an sich kein grosser (I wonder if that's supposed to have ß too, he didn't mark it) Taucher ist, sich aber trotzdem gelegentlich bis zu 1000 Meter Tiefe hinunterbewegt, maximal durchhalten dann, reichen nicht aus, um unter dem Eis in die Freiheit zu schwimmen. Deshalb sterben sie oft vor Hunger oder ertrinken. In einer (I didn't hear the r, should have known it was there) Umgebung, die günstigere (I added an r there, wasn't thinking) Lebensbedingungen bietet, vermindert (I left out the last r, forgot how it was spelled) sich das Risiko natürlich beträchtlich.

Ok, translation, no dictionary or online translator or anything, just my head:

The Swordfish (is the swordfish technically a whale? or am I thinking of the wrong fish...)

The swordfish can be found in numerous oceans, as much in the southernmost oceans as in the northernmost. It can tolerate warmth well, but shows that it prefers colder waters, probably because its preferred prey, (ok, I have no idea what Flossenfüsser are, one sec.....ahhhh, walrus, had to go to german wikipedia and look under a synonym I found) walruses, penguins and small whales, are found there. It occurs often, like with other whales, that they suddenly are cut off from the open sea by large ice fields, and find no way to free themselves. The 21 minute breath endurance (? is that what it's called?) that the swordfish, which is no great diver but despite which moves down to depths of 1000 meters from time to time, can maximally hold isn't however enough for it to swim under the ice to freedom. Therefore, they often die from hunger or drowning. In an area that offers favorable living conditions, the risk is of course reduced.

So, that was my Diktat. That wasn't really a very complex translation. Not very many challenging words. I made the same number of mistakes as my ten-year-old host brother. Hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home